Bibliography – Credits
A good references collection is needed. Many forgeries are easy to recognize, but some are not. Through the years the ISJP has published many things that help. Some of the references in the list below are difficult or impossible to find, but all the monographs published by the Society and listed below are available and can be purchased from the ISJP website at https://isjp.org. Or you might prefer to purchase all the paper Monographs (21) and all the issues of Japanese Philately to date for $75 on flash drive. Most of the issues are presented as page by page .jpg. If you are an ISJP member you can keep this flash drive updated by downloading each new issue from the website as published. The only monograph that does not come with the $75 purchase is the CD-Rom/Flash Drive monograph; Forgeries of the Dragon, Cherry Blossom and Koban Postage Stamps of Japan, (see full citation below.)
My sincere thanks to:
- Kenneth J Bryson who provided high resolution graphics of the following genuine cherry blossom stamps: 4 sen green with syllabics ロ, ハ and 2 sen yellow with ribbon and others.
- Doug Walker who read through all the pages done so far, and his eagle eyes found typos and inconsistencies for correction.
- Dr. Renichi YAMADA who helped make the website better by providing high resolution graphics of some of the Koban issues. Also he provided scans of the reprint of the 5 rin stamp, souvenir card, and its folder produced for PHIL-NIPPON ’91 now shown in full color.
- Casey, Ron, Thomas L. Zane and Lois M. Evans-de Violini, Forgeries of the Dragon, Cherry Blossom and Koban Postage Stamps of Japan, ISJP CD-Rom Monograph 1 – 2nd Edition, International Society for Japanese Philately, Inc. 2002, (Now available on a flash drive.)
- Casey, Ron, Corrections and Additions to Forgery CD, International Society for Japanese Philately, web editions 1996-2020.
- Earée, Rev. Robert B. Album Weeds; How to Detect Forged Stamps. London: Stanley Gibbons, Ltd., 3rd Edition, 1906. Vol. 1, pp 526-542.
- Evans, Lois M., Japan -1864-1900 , Exhibition Collection sold at auction August 2011.
- Evans, Lois M., Common Forgeries, International Society for Japanese Philately, web editions 1996-2020.
- Ichida, Dr. Soichi, The Dragon Stamps of Japan 1871-1872, Ichida Publishing Co., Tokyo, 1959.
- Ichida, Dr. Soichi, The Cherry Blossom Issues of Japan, 1872-1876, All Japan Federation, 1965.
- Metzelaar, W. and Varro E. Tyler, Forgeries & Imitations of the Dragon Stamps of Japan, ISJP Monograph 4 Revised, Silver Spring, MD: International Society for Japanese Philately, 1971. 24 pp.
- Metzelaar, W. & Varro E. Tyler, The Koban Forgeries of Japan, ISJP Monograph 8, International Society for Japanese Philately, Inc. 1979, 62pp.
- Montgomery, Milton J., A Guide to the Cherry Blossom Series, ISJP Monograph 2, International Society for Japanese Philately, Inc. 1969, 32 pp.
- Peplow, F. J., Photographs of the Sheets of Classic Japanese Stamps 1871-1876, published in 1971.
- Sakura Catalogue of Japanese Stamps, Edited & Published by Japan Philatelic Society Foundation.
- Scott Standard Postage Stamp Catalogue, Scott Publishing Co. (A division of Amos Press, Inc.).
- Tyler, Varro E., Philatelic Forgers, Their Lives and Works, 1991, Linns Stamp News (A divison of Amos Press, Inc.),165 pp.
- Tyler, Varro E., “A.M. Tracy Woodward’s Postal Forgeries”, Japanese Philately, Vol. 23, pp 213-216.
- Woodward, A. M. Tracy (1876-1938), The Postage Stamps of Japan and Dependencies, (Originally published by Kelly & Walsh in 1928), reprint by Quarterman Publications, Inc., Lawrence, MA, 1976, 548 pp + 243 Plates of Graphics.
- Yoshida Ichiro. Kitte Shumi, Japan. Vol .1 No .3, March 1930.